Peter J. Hosein, M.D.
- Office: 305-243-3462
- Fax: 305-243-9161
- Hematology/Oncology - Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Dr. Hosein sees patients with cancers of the esophagus, stomach, liver, bile ducts, pancreas, small bowel, colon, rectum and anal canal, as well and gastrointestinal neuroendocrine cancers. He works closely with surgical oncologists, colorectal surgeons, radiation oncologists and interventional radiologists at Sylvester to coordinate multidisciplinary care for patients with gastrointestinal cancers. He is also a part of the HIPEC (Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy) team for patients with peritoneal malignancies.
- American Board of Internal Med-Hematology
- American Board of Internal Med-Medical Oncology
- Associate Professor
- Co-leader of the Gastrointestinal Cancers Site Disease Group
Dr. Hosein is a clinical researcher focused on Gastrointestinal Cancers. He has been the principal investigator for multiple phase I and II clinical trials for patients with liver and pancreatic cancers conducted at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. He has also participated as a co-investigator in national phase III clinical trials in pancreatic and colorectal cancers. His primary research interest is in neoadjuvant therapy for patients with localized pancreatic cancer, especially in patients who are unresectable to try to convert them to resectability. A full list of his publications can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=hosein+p
- Saeed H, Hnoosh D, Huang B, Durbin EB, McGrath PC, Desimone P, Maynard E, Anthony LB,Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Tzeng CD. Defining the optimal timing of adjuvant therapy for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A statewide cancer registry analysis. J Surg Oncol.
- Suker M, Beumer BR, Allen PJ, Chau I, Conroy T, El-Rayes BF, Faris JE, Hong TS, Hosein PJ,Lacy J, Mellon EA, Moorcraft SY, Sadot E, Shridhar R, Taieb J, Wang-Gillam A, van Eijck CHJ, Groot Koerkamp B. A patient-level meta-analysis of FOLFIRINOX for locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Lancet Oncology
- Sussman DA, Berera S, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Carrasquillo O, Nadji M, Zhang Y, Hosein PJ,McCauley JL, Abreu MT. Colorectal Tumors from Different Racial and Ethnic Minorities Have Similar Rates of Mismatch Repair Deficiency. Clinical Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Vilchez V, Turcios L, Zaytseva Y, Stewart R, Lee EY, Maynard E, Shah MB, Daily MF, Tzeng CD, Davenport D, Castellanos AL, Krohmer S, Hosein PJ, Evers BM, Gedaly R. Cancer stem cell marker expression alone and in combination with microvascular invasion predicts poor prognosis in patients undergoing transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Surg
- Vilchez V, Shah MB, Daily MF, Pena L, Tzeng CD, Davenport D, Hosein PJ, Gedaly R, Maynard E. Long-term Outcome of Patients Undergoing Liver Transplantation for Mixed Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Cholangiocarcinoma: an Analysis of UNOS Database.
- Venkat S, Hosein PJ, Narayanan G. Percutaneous Approach to IRE of the Pancreas: Miami Protocol. Techniques in Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Hosein PJ, Sandoval-Sus JD, Goodman D, Gomez-Arteaga A, Hoffman J, Stefanovic A, Reis I, Rosenblatt JD, Lossos IS. Updated survival analysis of two sequential prospective trials of RMACLO-IVAM followed by maintenance for newly diagnosed mantle cell lymphoma.American Journal of Hematology
- Socola F, Nguyen DM, Ochoa RE, Rocha Lima CM, Hosein PJ. A cohort study evaluating the role of surgery for lung metastases from colorectal cancer. Anticancer Research.
- Khushman M, Scherfenberg N, Cudris Maldonado J, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Velez M, Carcas L, Dammrich D, Hurtado-Cordovi J, Parajuli R, Pollack T, Harwood AP, Macintyre J, Tzeng CD, Merchan JR, Restrepo MH, Akunyili II, Ribeiro A, Narayanan G, Portelance L, Sleeman D, Levi JU, Rocha Lima CMS, Hosein PJ. Full dose neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX is associated with prolonged survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma.Pancreatology
96-01 Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS),
University of the West Indies
07-10 Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology
Jackson Memorial Hospital
04-07 Residency in Internal Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hospital
Dr.Hosein graduated from medical school at the University of the West Indies in his native country of Trinidad & Tobago and then completed residency and fellowship training at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology. He is an Associate Professor at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and is the co-leader of the Gastrointestinal Cancers Site Disease Group at Sylvester.